January 28, 2017 / Leave a Comment
Even though the procedure is simplified, domestic dogs and cats must fulfill some health requirements to be allowed to enter Brazil.
These requirements are:
- Animals that are 90 days or older are required to have vaccination against rabies. This vaccine needs to be approved by the Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin.
- If the animal is younger than 90 days, entry to the country is allowed if there is a remark in the CVI, by the Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin, stating that the animal was not on a premise where urban rabies was registered within the last 90 days.
- If the animal was vaccinated for the first time, the animal can only leave the country of origin 21 days after the vaccination.
- If the country is compliant with the regulations of the World Organisation for Animal Health, OIE, to be officially declared free from rabies, the animal is exempt from presenting the proof for the vaccination against this disease, but this information should be included in the CVI.
- The CVI should include the immunization against other diseases and information about other treatments that the animal was subject to over the last 3 months.
- Within 10 days prior to the issuance of the CVI, the animal should be subject to effective treatment to remove any internal or external parasites using products approved by the Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin.
- Within 10 days prior to the issuance of the CVI, the animal should be subject to an examination performed by an authorized veterinarian in the country of origin to verify that the animal is clinically healthy, free of any parasites and able to be transported to Brazil.
- Within 10 days, you need to get all documents approved by the agriculture department of your country.
Don’t forget to confirm that the airline will allow your pet to be transported.
Each country has different regulations regarding the transportation of animals and the same applies to the airlines, so it is necessary to check the procedure directly with the company you have chosen.